Important Announcement for Upcoming Alabama Practicums:
Due to a recent policy change, all personnel, including interns and practicum participants must follow infection control procedures at Bryce Psychiatric Hospital.  This means that during flu season (October - March), anyone entering the building will need to either have a had a flu shot or wear a mask.  Talk to your practicum supervisor for more information


Participants are selected from the pool of interested applicants by a screening process using the following criteria: interpreting experience, formal and continuing education, and involvement in the Deaf and mental health communities.

Since 2003, interpreters working in mental health have had the opportunity to attend an annual 40-hour training in mental health interpreting. This intensive workshop is for experienced American Sign Language interpreters who practice or desire to practice in the specialized field of mental health. Through presentations by mental health professionals, group discussions, role playing and other experiential activities, participants develop practical skills necessary for varied mental health settings.

A Crucial Part of Becoming a Qualified Mental Health Interpreter

In order certified of Qualification as a Qualified Mental Health Interpreter, participants must complete a 40-hour practicum under the direct supervision of an Office of Deaf Services approved practicum supervisor.  Following successful completion of the practicum, interpreters will be allowed to sit for examination.  Interpreters receiving a passing score on this examination will receive certification as a Qualified Mental Health Interpreter as defined by Chapter 580-3-24 of the Code of Alabama.

Questions? Ready to Start? Contact the Practicum Coordinator using the form below. 


To Help You Plan...

The documents below will help you understand the practicum process better and will guide you as you develop your plan.



Practicum participants have several options for supervision.  These include:

Download site descriptions and information HERE.  For questions related specifically to the sites, you may contact the site supervisor. For general questions related to the practicum, please use the form at left. 

RID Independent Study Application

These documents will help you file for RID approval of your practicum as Independent Study.